Tuesday, March 09, 2010

18 YEARS TODAY

18 years ago today we landed on these fair shores.  Like the pioneers before us we had given up everything to come to our new land. Not knowing what was ahead of us.  We actually lived like pioneers for a few weeks with only the basics.  This land and this people opened their hearts to us, we had no illusions about what to expect but the friendship we received made it easier to tackle everything head on.
Sadly my beloved passed away three years ago, he loved Australia, every day he would look out and say "why would we want to live anywhere else'. It had always been his dream to live in Australia, to follow in his big brothers footsteps, a chance to give his kids a better life. He loved his family and friends back in the UK but his love for Australia, his family and friends here was far stronger. Yes I feel sad today, sad that our dream of growing old disgracefully together was shattered, plans we made subject to alteration now.  18 years ago I was not expecting to be a widow, we had so much hope for the future.  But I have wonderful family and friends,I love them all and they have helped me get through this and to make a new future for myself and to continue on with our dream.
....and on that note, now I'm blubbering I will go get ready to go shop.


3 comments:

  1. I just got here, I'm blubbering too. Such a heartfelt post! t.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to 'meet' a new cousin almost on the anniversary of your arrival in Australia :) Special hugs from me too.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say, at least I know then that I am not waffling along all on my own. Is there anybody out there............